Sunday, September 14, 2008

Spyderco Delica 4 in Bubinga wood and titanium


This folder here is one that I almost decided against doing. I hate working on these Delica folders. Well, thats not entirely true. I hate the new Delica 4 and Endura 4 models compared to the older ones. The original Delica is my fave. I guess you've figured out by now that I like working on Spyderco folders. For years I used to buy Cold Steel folders and rebuild those. Then I found a Spyderco at a gun show and hardly used another Cold Steel after that.
These are problematic in several areas.
Its seen here sitting among some of my wife's moneywort plant outside. I had some trouble getting a good bit of sun for these shots today. This is probably the best of the three pics I managed. My solution to dealing with the nested liners of this folder was to simply discard them and the old scales and remake the new liners of titanium in .050" thickness and then to cut some slabs off the wood and plane those down to the proper thickness. Once I did that the machining took place to fit the scales to the design. After that it is normal that its all down hill since I'm a big fan of bead blasting. Not with this one though. I had a lot of hand sanding on this puppy. My fingers were stiff for days from all that. Anyway, I knocked it out and this is the end result. Like always I'm trying sometimes to be anal about the details but the customer loved it so thats all that really matters I guess. Thanks for looking.
STR

No comments: