Sunday, March 22, 2009

Emerson CQC7B Frame Lock Conversion


Seen here is another in a long line of Emerson folders I've converted from the thin liner lock shipped out of the factory to a beef cake frame lock.  As usual no permanent modifications were done to any of the factory parts so once again this folder can easily be put back together to make it all factory again. Even the non lock side is still the same finish on this one with no bead blasting to blend it with the new lock side. You can actually put this one back together and not even know it was once this beefy heavy duty package. I just made a new lock side that will work on it and take it up a notch to HD7 type performance and since the HD7 frame lock from Emerson has been discontinued I have had a couple folks ask about them. Actually truth be told most of the HD7 models I've seen and the one I owned had .122 to .125 lock sides so compared to this one at .145 I'd say this one is probably technically heavier duty although its probably not something anyone would notice.

This folder here happens to be one of my own Emersons and it is ready ready for some serious work! Weight gain was nil since it started out at 4.9 ounces before adding the slab side to it and ended up at 5.1 ounces with the new lock side installed. When holding my other non converted new in the box 7A model still in liner lock factory fresh form in my left hand I can't tell the weight difference between a stock one and this one in the hand so I doubt its going to be noticed in the pocket either. The real difference for me comes in the sense of strength, and particularly reliability from holding one like this compared to one with a thin liner lock that barely engages the blade to secure it. To me that added assurance that you can rely on the lock to hold and actually physically keep the lock from moving toward release in a serious white knuckle hard grip really makes all the difference in the world. There is also some visual sense looking over a folder made this way that its just all around a step up in all the right ways from the factory version. 

This is the second Emerson CQC 7 model I've converted in the last few months and as is usual with  each one I do I improve on and correct for what I learned in previous models. Such is the case here. I think the next one will be even nicer than this one when the time comes that I decide to do another. 

Thanks for looking. 

STR



2 comments:

dubylsyx said...

So is Emerson's CQC series specifically designed for Close Quarters Combat (CQC) or is it just coincidence that they share the same initials? They look as if they'd be formidable in such a situation even if that wasn't their intended purpose.

Steve A/K/A STR said...

CQC does stand for close quarters combat as I understand the logo. Most of the Emerson knives are designed primarily with the intent of speedy opening and defensive posturing. Then the blades are more for puncture and slashing without really needing to be precise which is how they can be flat ground on one side only (chisel grind) and even on the wrong side for most right handers and still sell quite well. If you want something to whittle on the back porch you should not be looking at Emerson. Wrong company and wrong knife.